Friday, March 25, 2011

A visit to SSPCA

One fine Saturday (19/3/2011), while waiting for our pizza to be served, me and my cousin decided to drop by the SSPCA (Sarawak Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals); which is conveniently located just behind Pizza Hut 7th Mile. During the short walk, we talked and giggled about the possibility of adopting cats or dogs; or what it may be like inside.


When we went though the gate; I can't help but smile; thinking "YES! I'M FINALLY HERE!!!". So i walked alongside the cages housing the cats and dogs. The cages were arranged in 3 rows, with cats on top and dogs at the bottom.


Walking past the 1st few cages; I stopped at almost all the cat cages; taking my time saying hi and patting their heads. Happy happy time, they have very very VERY VEEERRRYYYYY KYOOT kittehs and puppies up for adoption.


Walking further; the happy feelings turned awry. It wasn't happy happy time anymore when patting the cats' heads - maybe it's just me being overly sentimental; everytime i looked at their faces (cats n dogs alike) they all have this look that says "ohai there hooman, can u plz taek meh home wif u? kthx.." [lolspeak.. XD]


Hand on heart, it was a truly sad and heartbreaking moment; seeing them cats and dogs being left like that by their previous owners. I'm not in a position to judge such decision to abandon their pets; for all I know they probably did love their pets to the death; but some unfortunate circumstances made it necessary to let them go. Either way, it's just plain sad, full stop.


I couldn't take it any longer; then I decided to leave before I suffer from an emotional outburst. When I was just signing the Visitor's Book; a van rolled in (presumably from the adoption campaign held earlier in the morning) laden with cats and dogs of various breeds. One cage caught my undivided attention: it contained 4 kittens, all with almost-identical tabby coats. K-I-T-T-E-N-S; mind you - like here:


http://www.theittybittykittycommittee.com/


or


http://icanhascheezburger.com/cheezburger-confidential-itteh-bitteh-kitteh-committeh/


if you need a pictorial reference.


I brought up my left pointer finger for the kittens to sniff. They were scared. If only they could talk; I bet they would be saying "I want mommy.. Where is she? Mommy, mommy; where are you..? *sniff*"


Now can you get the idea of the kittens age?


That was the last straw. I quickly left with a black hole in my chest. I ate my pizza silently after that.


What a day. I shall steel my heart and try to keep a happy face next time I'm visiting. (try very hard, cuteness can melt diamond, LOL)


So dudes and dudettes; please extend a caring hand and help not only humans in need; but also animals.


God bless the cute, the adorable, and the fluffy ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment