Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Inter-racial relations

Disclaimer: First of all, please be reminded that this post is TOTALLY NEUTRAL, and in no circumstances did i intend to undermine any particular race whatsoever. Please feel free to point out any mistakes you read here. If i wrote anything here that you deem as "unsuitable", pls drop me an email at fidelisg@gmail.com

Throughout my life, i have encountered various people: Malays, Chinese, Indians, Ibans, Melanau, Kadazan, Rungus, etc... And, i dare say that each encounter (well, most of them) are very pleasant ones. To those concerned, you have my sincerest thanks and gratitude.

I don't know about you, but sometimes i wonder: Why sometimes it seems so hard for people to just get along? Remember these words:

"You tak suka, you keluar dari Malaysia"

Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badruddin_Amiruldin

I am fully aware that this is an old issue, but an important one nonetheless. For me, I have a deep dislike for people who do not respect other people's rights; beliefs and way of life. I don't care who they are, if they do not show respect, then they don't deserve any. Who needs people like that?

Last year, I was granted a privilege to go to this camp; and one of the topics discussed was the way to improve Malay-Christian relations. Of course, it was very helpful and all that (by the way, I'm studying at UiTM Shah Alam). Then comes the ruling that the usage of the word "Allah" is illegal for use in non-Muslim publications. Thruthfully; that was one of the saddest moments in my life as a Christian. On this, I do not wish to comment any further as I deem myself as not knowledgeable enough.

Malaysian Parliament proceedings. Often are the cases of reps fighting each other using words, sometimes words filled with resent. I remember when one group of secondary school students watching all that mayhem saying something like "they are acting like children". I don't know how they behave now since I've long lost my interest in Malaysian politics.

So, in my personal opinion, in order to be 1Malaysia;

RESPECT

is what we MUST HAVE. One saying that i hold to is "If you don't respect other people, you will not be respected", and "Respect is earned, not gained".

From my point of view, I see Sarawakians in general have more of this RESPECT towards each other regardless of race/religion compared to West M'sians. Most of the times when I walk past coffee shops, i see combinations of Malay/Chinese/Iban/Bidayuh sitting together having fits of laughter. I have Malay + Chinese + Bidayuh + Iban +... etc friends, and i have no trouble at all communicating with them.

1 comment:

  1. oh yeah...can't deny no more, spell it out with me people: R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!
    *singing Aretha Franklin's*

    ReplyDelete